An iPhone may refer to any of the following:
1. The iPhone is a smartphone created by Apple that was announced on January 9, 2007. The first demonstration of the iPhone was on January 29, 2007, at the Macworld Conference & Expo. The iPhone utilizes a touch screen, giving it features in addition to that of a regular cell phone such as an on-screen keyboard and the ability to search the Internet. Additionally, because the iPhone has an operating system (known as iOS) it can run millions of different software applications that are available through the Apple App store.
With significantly more storage space, the iPhone can hold a large number of photos, videos, and songs. Internet connectivity is provided through cellular service (4G LTE) and Wi-Fi.
The official Apple iPhone page is https://www.apple.com/iphone/.
Versions of the iPhone
Below is a list of the versions of the iPhone because its inception with a summary of the new features and their respective release dates.
- iPhone 3G - The iPhone 3G was the first iPhone with 3G support; it was released on June 19, 2009.
- iPhone 4 and 4s - These two iPhones were released on June 21, 2010, and October 14, 2011. The iPhone 4s introduced the Siri voice assistant.
- iPhone 5 and 5s - Both phones included an increase in screen size to 4-inches; the 5s also included a fingerprint reader. These two versions were released on September 21, 2012, and September 20, 2013, respectively.
- iPhone 5c - A version of the iPhone 5 which was sold at a lower price point. The phone features a plastic back rather than the traditional aluminum design. This allowed the phone to be sold with multiple color variations.
- iPhone 6 and 6s - The iPhone 6 saw a screen size increase to 4.7 and 5.5-inches on the "Plus" model. These two phones were released on September 19, 2014, and September 25, 2015, respectively.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus - The iPhone 7 saw the removal of the traditional 3.5 mm headphone jack. It also included water resistance technology, and improved performance with dual rear cameras on the 7 Plus. These two phones were released on September 16, 2016.
- iPhone 8 and 8 Plus - The iPhone 8 included a glass back and the ability to charge wirelessly. These versions were released on September 22, 2017.
- iPhone X and XS (iPhone 10) - The iPhone X brought a full OLED screen, top face sensors for Face ID, and the removal of the traditional home button. It was released on November 3, 2017. The iPhone XS was an upgraded version of the X released on September 21, 2018.
- iPhone XR - A version of the iPhone X introduced at a lower price point. The iPhone XR is made of plastic instead of glass, features a lower resolution 720p screen, and a single rear camera rather than a dual camera.
2. A mobile handset from Linksys (a subsidiary of Cisco), the iPhone is a handset that connects to a Wi-Fi network. It enables users to make wireless phone calls through their home computers using Skype. This phone enables users to use Skype anywhere in their home or office (within Wi-Fi range), similar to the traditional cordless home phone.
Because of the obvious trademark conflict with Apple, Cisco filed a trademark infringement against Apple shortly after its release. However, shortly after filing the trademark infringement, the companies came to terms and agreed to share the name between the two different products.